- To manage own workload of legal work and to support Senior Legal Counsel with various instructions from the business including supplier contracts, litigation, insurance policy wording and interpretation, broker arrangements, broker terms of business and product initiatives.
- To independently handle contract negotiation and drafting.
- Sole responsibility for maintaining and updating contracts on the contract system.
- To review company and legal policies.
- To assist with the delivery of legal training to the business.
- To undertake legal research either on own initiative or under instruction from a qualified member of the legal team as and when required.
- To undertake ad-hoc legal work for any qualified member of the legal team as and when required.
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Understand how Conduct Risk, Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Risk Management and Solvency II systems of Governance relate to both the role and the divisional activities and highlight any opportunities for improvement.
- Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role.
- Delivers Results
- Sets high goals for personal accomplishment and contribution to team/area goals; monitors progress and works diligently to meet/exceed goals.
- Develops Self
- Displays strong capacity and thirst for learning and developing broad business and leadership skills; openness to diverse ideas & experiences and has keen self-awareness re: strengths and areas of development.
- Makes Effective Decisions
- Evaluates options by thinking both critically and holistically when considering relevant information and potential implications to both the team and company; chooses an effective option.
- Strong Business Acumen
- Displays strong understanding of own department and good general understanding of overall business objectives, evolving customer needs and technological solutions; applies continuous improvement practices to enhance business processes and results.
- Strong Teamwork
- Actively works collaboratively to help move the team toward the completion of team and business goals.
- Values Driven
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- UK qualified solicitor (NQ – 2 years PQE).
- Experience in financial services sector preferable.
- Knowledge of the Financial Services industry from a group risk insurance product perspective.
- Knowledge of the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
- An understanding of income protection, critical illness and life insurance products in both the group and individual markets.