Despite plans to redefine its role in Europe, farming and environmental issues in Britain will continue to remain high on the agenda - with a strong demand for skilled graduates.
Employment opportunities in the diverse environmental sector can be grouped into:
• Environment - air quality, conservation, corporate social responsibility (CSR), environmental assessment, environmental science, sustainable development, waste management and water quality
• Agriculture - crops and livestock.
There are also many land and animal-related careers, including, animal care, animal technology, aquaculture, equine management, fisheries management, floristry, game and wildlife management, horticulture and landscaping, land-based engineering, trees and timber, veterinary work etc.
Employers range in size from very small or family-owned businesses to large multinationals. Graduate training schemes are more likely to be found with larger companies, government bodies and environmental consultancies. Notable companies include; AB Agri, AGCO, British Sugar, CNH Industrial, JCB, John Deere, KUHN, Magnox, etc.
The EA has a workforce of around 10,600, with plenty of graduate jobs available - for instance, you could be taken on as a scientist, geologist, hydrologist or environment officer. The sector also contains not-for-profit organizations concerned with issues such as protecting the environment and animal welfare.
Graduates can expect:
• to work outdoors in all weather conditions, or be part-office based
• a wide range of roles, from practical, hands-on and physically-demanding jobs to consultancy work
• varied salaries that will depend on the entry qualification and the industry - the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment's (IEMA) 2017 survey revealed that the average wages of environment and sustainability professionals was just over £44,000, while consultants earned a median salary of £37,500
• Opportunities for self-employment - with over half of the agricultural workforce self-employed.
- Environment Senior Manager
- Environmental/EIA Consultant
- Stakeholder Engagement Lead – Environment
- Environmental Consultant – Ecology
- Environmental Consultant
- Environment Stakeholder Engagement Coordinator
- Sustainability Consultant
- EMEA VAC Promar - Environmental Analyst
- Assistant Sustainability Consultant
- Energy and Environment Manager
- Energy & Sustainability Manager
- Editorial Assistant - Environment and Sustainability
- Corporate Sustainability Programme Manager - Environment
- Vice President Environmental Affairs