- Characterise novel materials, electrodes and designs to enable a deep understanding of design and performance.
- Demonstrate hands-on experience in characterisation, including applying deep levels of characterisation techniques to electrochemical, thermal and mechanical problems associated with developing novel batteries.
- Manage collected data and decant key figures of merit.
- Generate new and innovative characterisation techniques which can be applied in both developmental and production phases.
- Work closely with other scientists and engineers to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, within the planned timeline of the project.
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management.
Education and experience
- Minimum MSc/M. Chem degree (2:1 degree or better) in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or equivalent with a demonstrable level of experience in a related field.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge
- Experience and knowledge of material characterisation techniques, including: Raman, XRD, XPS, SEM-EDS.
- Experience and knowledge of mechanical characterisation techniques.
- Ability to work independently carrying out characterisation to enable a deep understanding of processes and materials.
- Safely work within a lab, adhering to good laboratory practice in compliance with corporate and chemical hygiene policies, including health and safety, COSHH and risk assessments
- Provide regular updates on progress through presentations and progress reports
- Specialist knowledge in the characterisation of battery materials or electrodes (i.e. in-situ measurements)
- Demonstrated ability to develop novel characterisation tools to address a unique requirement.
Essential behavioural skills
- Self-starter with high level of scientific creativity, open mind and aptitude for problem solving.
- Organised, good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
- Excellent team working skills, and willing to share, listen to and help others.